The body is worked in one piece from the hem to the underarms then divided for front and back. The right shoulder is joined, the neckline and left placket are picked up and knit. The sleeves are worked in the round from the hem to the underarm, then worked back and forth in rows for the sleeve cap then the sleeves are set into the armholes. After the pieces are assembled, the final adornments are applied with duplicate stitch.
Each child will grow at a different rate, both in circumference and height, and most grow faster than seems possible. The model is wearing a piece that he will be able to grow into over time, as it is generous both in length and circumference. Consider picking a chest size that is roomy and adjusting the length of the sleeves and the body, so that the recipient can grow into it over time.
The colorwork pattern is offered in chart form, only.
If you like this pattern, you may also like the women's version found here. Save 20% when you buy both either individually or as a set.
- Shalimar Yarns Enzo Sport (70% Merino / 20% cashmere, 10% nylon) – 295 yd / 270 m per skein
- 2 (3, 3, 3, 3, 3) skeins MC Ore
- 1 skein CC Buttermilk
- Small length of Barnraiser for heart (optional)
Pattern contains 6 sizes
Finished Chest Circumference
- 21 ¾ (24 ¼, 26 ¼, 28, 29 ¾, 32 ¼)" / 55 (61.5, 66.5, 71, 75.5, 82) cm, to fit ages 1 (2, 4, 6, 7, 8)
- Sample size: 28" / 71 cm shown on a 24" / 61 cm chest with 1 ¼" / 3 cm of length added to the body.
- Suggested ease: 2-4" / 5-10 cm.
- US 3 / 3.25 mm knitting needle*
16-24" / 40-60 cm long circular needle (choose length that is shorter than the finished chest measurement)
- needles in preferred style for small circumference knitting in the rnd
US 4 / 3.5 mm circular needle; 16-24" / 40-60 cm long for colorwork (optional)
- Stitch markers
- 2 (2, 2, 2, 2, 3) ½" / 13 mm, or smaller buttons
- Stitch holder or waste yarn
- Tapestry needle
- Needle and thread to coordinate with buttons
* Or size to obtain gauge
- 26 sts x 37 rows over 4" / 10cm in Stockinette stitch and colorwork
What you get
You are purchasing a PDF download. You will need a free copy of Adobe Acrobat to open and print the file. I accept Pay Pal payments only. This pattern is 5 pages plus a cover and is provided in color that should print well in black and white. The pattern includes a full and detailed schematics, photos and all the instructions needed to complete this pattern.
Because of the nature of PDF downloads, I cannot offer refunds, but I will do everything I can to resolve issues that may arise. Please don't hesitate to contact me.
Skills needed to complete this pattern:
- Casting on
- Binding off
- Working in the round
- Working from charts
- Duplicate stitch
- Picking up stitches
Resources and Thanks
Tech editing: Chris Evans
Because of the nature of PDF downloads, I cannot offer refunds for purchases. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns before you buy. I want to make sure you only buy a pattern you really want. Thank you so much.
You are welcome to use these patterns for your own personal, non-commercial or charitable use. If you wish to sell items made from these patterns or teach classes using my patterns, please contact me. Please do not distribute this pattern in print or electronically or post this pattern to your own site or publication.